According to producer Laura Shaw, the couple faces a difficult road ahead.
Even though it’s only January, this year is shaping up to be an exciting one for Emmerdale fans.
Not only do they have Emmerdale’s 50th anniversary to look forward to in October 2022, with a slew of special programming and storylines already planned to commemorate the occasion, but producers Jane Hudson and Laura Shaw have been teasing what’s to come – and it sounds just as dramatic as ever.
There’s a lot to look forward to, from “more heartbreak” for the Dales’ residents to Moira’s past reappearing.
Jai (Chris Bisson) and Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy) appear to be in trouble as well.
“There’s a difficult road ahead for Jai and Laurel,” Laura Shaw teased RadioTimes.com and other outlets about their relationship.
She added: “Jai’s desperation to sort out his money woes steps up a gear and he’ll go to extreme lengths to cover the money he owes for the HOP fine – so will his relationship with Laurel be jeopardised?
“We know how Jai can struggle when he’s on the back foot and not winning at life – so will this send him spiralling back to his old ways and will we see a darker Jai emerge from all this?”
It remains to be seen whether the couple’s relationship will be strained by the financial strain and Jai’s ruthless side resurfacing. There’s a chance they’ve been there before and come out on top, so there’s still hope.
Johnathon Hughes contributed additional reporting.
- ITV Emmerdale fans demand surprising career change for Charity Dingle
- Emmerdale icon Manpreet Sharma killed off-screen as Meena gets revenge in exit twist?
- Emmerdale error as Vinny Dingle rushes to see Liv Flaherty after horror attack
- Huge Emmerdale spoilers for next week (24 to 28)
- Emmerdale arrest for Cain Dingle as he’s framed for Meena Jutla’s death?
- Emmerdale’s explosive 50th anniversary will see a baby born – and they will be conceived THIS week…